Anyone who has ever owned an animal has had the thought at one time or other: “I wonder what he/she is thinking?” Rose in a Storm by Jon Katz provides us with a glimpse into the mind and thoughts of Rose, a working border collie, intuitively and effectively answering that question for us. Not only do we get the opportunity to share Rose’s daily routines, we are also treated to glimpses of her memories and emotions. We see through her eyes the relationship she shares with her owner, Sam, and his wife, Katie, whose sudden disappearance from the farm bewilders and saddens her. We are given access to her memories of when she was a puppy and of when she first meets the alpha wolf of the local pack.
At the beginning of the book, Rose and Sam are preparing the farm and its animals for an upcoming blizzard, one predicted by the local authorities to be a “storm of the century.” As they work together to erect vital strongholds for the other animals to survive the oncoming atmospheric onslaught, we are not only given insight into Rose’s thoughts but Sam’s as well, and the resulting give and take of their relationship is as intricate as a fine ballet.
When the expected blizzard finally arrives and Rose and Sam are faced with far more serious challenges than Sam could have ever anticipated, Rose shows a steadfastness of spirit and tenacity that is truly amazing. With fortitude and valor, she never stops trying to keep everything together and everyone safe, even as the world she knows keeps spinning ever further out of control.
Rose in a Storm is a truly inspiring story. I was so engrossed in its unfolding that I had a truly difficult time putting it down. This is the first of Mr. Katz’ books that I have had the pleasure to read, ut I assure you that it will most certainly not be the last! I give Rose in a Storm 5 pawprints!
Would you like to win
your own copy of
Rose in a Storm?
Iwill be giving away 2 copies of Jon Katz' Rose in a Storm:
1. A brand new copy will be sent directly from the publisher to a winner from the US or Canada
2. I will send my own copy, gently read just once, to a lucky International winner
Each entry must have its own comment in order to be counted separately - and make sure to include your email address so I can contact you! Entries that don't include an email address will be disqualified.
Mandatory entry (You MUST do this to be eligible to win!):
1. Follow Crazy Cat Lady's Library publicly on GFC and leave a comment indicating you do. Also indicate on this comment whether you are US/Canada or International. All information must be present in your comment in order for this entry and your subsequent optional entries to qualify! (1 entry)
2. Follow CCLL on Twitter - include your twitter name in your comment(1 entry)
3. Tweet about this giveaway - include a link in your comment. You can retweet daily. Use the text below or make up your own (1 entry)
4. Follow Crazy Cat Lady and/or like CCLL on facebook - include your facebook name in your comment (1 entry each)
5. Subscribe to CCLL via e-mail and/or RSS feed - make sure to specify the email being used (1 entry each)
6. Add CCLL's button to your blog - make sure to include a URL in your comment and let me know where to find it (3 entries - enter your comment 3 times)
7. Blog about this giveaway on your blog, linking back to this review and giveaway (5 entries - enter your comment 5 times)
That's 1 mandatory entry and a possible total of 14 (or more if you tweet daily) entries per person!
Contest ends 11/14 at 23:59 CST.
***FTC Disclosure: This book was provided in exchange for an honest review, no other compensation was given, all opinions are my own***